1.31.2013

{What I'm Reading}: January


What I'm Reading: January 2013

Mom's On Call - Toddler Book

Desperate for some advice on discipline, I chose to read Mom's On Call. Overall, I have to say this book was harsh, and that the opinions & advice are not for the faint of heart. There are certainly some suggestions that C & I appreciated, and embrace wholeheartedly. I mentioned it here, but Mom's On Call suggests positive reinforcement before bed (just as they are closing their eyes), as a way to convince your toddler to stay in their bed all night. I'm not sure if this was the one thing that changed A's sleep habits, but, we're still doing it every night. I thought the suggestions on 'confident face' were spot-on, and

The harshest part of the book for me, was their directive on your 'one and only job' at night... to never, under any circumstance, open the door to your child's room. EVER (OK, except for sickness... but how do you know your child has a fever in the middle of the night if you don't go in the room?) In fact, they suggest reversing the handle so that you can lock it from the outside, and go on to tell you how this is safe, especially in case of a fire (so that your child can't escape and roam the house in fear). Um... I don't really know where to start, but all I can say is that I'm not that mom. Maybe this works for some people, but it is not for us. Never responding to A's cries in the middle of the night? Ignoring that he is calling for me? I couldn't. It actually makes me a little sad to think there are other toddlers out there, who wake up in the middle of the night calling for their momma's, only to cry themselves back to sleep.

( and now this review is already much longer than I thought it would be... )


Gone Girl

Of course, I had to read Gone Girl. I was maybe the only person on earth who hadn't read it. Gone Girl lived up to every expectation I had for it, and more. Gillian Flynn is a gifted writer, and always kept you guessing with every page. The thought that she put into her characters, and their development throughout the book, was very impressive. I have to admit, I was a little confused by the ending. However, once I thought about it some more, it made sense, but still seemed abrupt to me. I would definitely read any of Flynn's other books, after reading this one.

Sweet Tooth

I am only 20% through Sweet Tooth, so I can't give a complete review. I will say, if you are reading and are at the very beginning... it gets better. Just be patient!


I would love to know: what are you reading?


2 comments:

  1. Glad you shared about Mom's on Call. I won't waste my time! Thanks! Can you believe I haven't read a book, in it's entirety, since O has been born! Awful, I miss it and need to make time to decompress and read, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gone Girl is next on my list to read! Glad to hear a good recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I read each and every one of them!